----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Shhh!!  CS 2
Date:    Wednesday, 09. January 2013
From:    Dan <dantear...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> According to Forbes and other sources:
>
> Adobe has shut down the activation servers, but they're NOT giving
> anything away for free.  The packages provided for download now
> require a registration key, instead of reaching for the server.  Said
> key is ONLY available to *existing* CS2 customers.

True.

Adobe:
/While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did
it to help our customers./

So, they did it due to their existing CS2 customers. But that is only the
cause for the provided download page. Now that it is available, and without
restrictions (not even a Adobe ID is required), and that it is comming from
Adobe itself, the result is that it is a free giveaway.

The truth is that they cannot take it back. It’s out there now. People are
using it. It’s not what was intended, but it’s what happend. And even Adobe
has to accept that.
In fact, they did accept it! Before it was spread on varioud blogs and news
sites, the restriction was that you had to have and login with an Adobe ID.
After it went out of control and everybody started to download CS2, the site
was temporary unavailable, I guess due to overstessing the servers. But when
they had it sorted out and put it back, the need for an Adobe ID was removed.
Everybody can download it now.

So what is it then? It is free for download.

It has to be said thou that restrictions apply:
1) No support.
2) Not upgradeable.
3) It is not explicitly provided as free by Adobe, even thou that is the
result.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250