Tnx, Kris.  That's what I was beginning to think.  Seems a little odd given
the internal ATA drive(s) boot setup. So I need to look for a SCSI
interface external drive.  What version of SCSI would work on the beige G3
built-in port-only v1?  Does it matter what type of drive interface is on
the inside of the SCSI external enclosure?  In other words if I could find
an ATA or eSATA drive that worked in a SCSI enclosure, do you have any idea
if that would work?

My particular need is to have a backup drive to native boot into OS 9 to
continue using some critical apps that were dropped by the vendor when OS X
came about.  Classic on my Mac minis Tiger doesn't fully work for one of
the apps, after MUCH experimenting.

Now off to eBay and Google for some SCSI shopping...

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:37:44 AM UTC-8, Kris Tilford wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Click wrote:
>
> > Ideas and suggestions, please
>
> Since the Beige G3 didn't come with either built-in Firewire or built-
> in USB, neither if these are natively bootable, and holding the Option
> key, or trying to select the HD in Startup Disk won't work.
>
> The only natively bootable external option is the external SCSI port,
> which should be able to boot any bootable System.
>
> It's possible to boot OS X from the external Firewire HD by using
> XPostFacto 4. In this case you'd use any internal HD as an XPF "Helper
> Disk" in the XPF Options, and then point the boot at the external
> Firewire HD. This will start the boot process on the internal HD, and
> then seamlessly transfer the boot to the external HD after the
> extensions that load the PCI Firewire card are loaded and the Firewire
> HD is available. This is your ONLY option to boot externally from
> unsupported PCI cards. It will also work with ATA cards that lack
> Apple Boot ROM compatibility, and may work with some USB cards
> although USB isn't officially supported by XPF because some cards were
> very problematic. You can only boot OS X using XPF Helper Disk, so a
> 10.4.11 System would be optimal for the external Firewire HD.
>
> If you decide to go this route, I can help with any problems off-list.

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.