On Feb 11, 2013, at 10:59 AM, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2013, at 3:23 AM, Wayne Stewart wrote:
>
>> How about a Sonnet SATA card? It'll boot OS 9. If you really want an
>> external you can add an eSATA adapter. You can easily get an external case
>> with eSATA and USB or FW so you could easily move data to another machine.
>> New SATA drives ate cheap enough, they're almost giving away small used ones.
>> I've used one to boot OS 9 on a 9600  via an external 1tb Lacie HD
>> (partitioned of course).
>

> A Sonnet SATA card would be a pricey addition to an old Mac that's severely
> limited already. For the price of the Sonnet card you could likely retire the
> Beige in favor a G4, an old Mini, or a handful of Mac laptops that have more
> capability than a stock G3.
>
> I ran a G3 many years while booted externally from Firewire HDs because
> Firewire was cheap, fast, and easy to transfer from one Mac to another. I
> think the best use of money for upgrading a Beige G3 is CPU first, video card
> second, and in my experience I believe internal ATA & SATA cards are not
> price effective in comparison to cheap Firewire.
>
> A fully upgraded Beige G3 MUST have a G4 CPU, a Radeon video card that
> supports Quartz Extreme, and both USB 2.0 & Firewire ports. With only 3 PCI
> slots available, it's really tough to justify in internal ATA or SATA card
> when likely you've filled all three slots with Radeon, USB 2.0, and Firewire.
> There are combo USB & Firewire cards, which I have tried in conjunction with
> an ATA card, but the problem is that these combo cards never have OS 9
> support are are effectively dead in OS 9. Better to use the internal ATA for
> OS 9, and Firewire for OS X in my opinion.
>
> Upgrading old Beige G3s is NOT cost effective in today's world. The sweet
> spot for price vs. power is certainly migrated to used Intel PC hackintosh
> hardware capable of running current Mt. Lion software. If you must have pure
> Apple hardware, the sweet spot is likely either G5 Macs, or early Intel Macs
> - look for upgradeable Intel Macs that support newer CPUs & video, such as
> early Intel iMacs. The days of PPC Macs are severely limited now, the
> migration to Intel may soon become the migration to ARM, after all, Apple
> owns ARM chipset designers, not Intel or PPC. Move along or be left behind,
> that's the choice.

What Kris said, with these caveats:

The OP requires native boot in OS 9. That means one off of this list that shows
Boot Only or Boot/Classic:

<http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/macs-that-support-macos-9-classic.html>

No G5 ever booted in anything but OS X.

Also, IIRC there WAS a line of MDD 1.25 systems that were released after the G5
came out that did boot in OS 9, released in response to the demands of a lot of
BIG customers using (IIRC) mostly Quark Express.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---