I have made some progress on the DA G4. I replaced the battery and zapped
the pram which made no difference.
I disconnected all usb devices except the keyboard and a Logitech trackball
and tried shutting down which also made no difference.

The DA G4 quits the finder and the desktop picture remains and it just
hangs, which is what has been doing whenever I try to quit.

I have a DA G4 running 10.4.11. It has a 1.6 MHz PPC processor. I also have
a GoFlex Nas drive which might be causing the problem.

I tried creating a new user, but that doesn't come up when it boots up. It
does on my G5, but I am the only person that uses this thing
and i don't have much experience logging on with other users. I downloaded
AppleJack but I haven't installed it. Terminal stuff makes
me nervous.

I have a 5 port Usb 2.0 card in it. I have a powered 2.0 hub and a 2.0
scanner and Brother HL-1440 printer and another 500mg GoFlex portable drive
which
is different from the Nas drive. I tried powering the portable GoFlex drive
through the hub and it wouldn't go so I plugged it back
into the USB card. Normally, I leave the GoFlex cradle plugged into the USB
card but I leave the drive out because I only use it for
backup.

Nevertheless, with no USB stuff connected except the keyboard and the
trackball into the stock G4 USB port it wouldn't shut down.
So, progress amounts to eliminating a bunch of stuff and the computer still
won't shut down. Rarely, something happens with
the USB something and the computer will quit all by itself. This usually,
involves waking and it quits. When this happens the clock and
date get screwed up, but because it's set to look up the date and time it
fixes itself within a minute or two, but it does mean it
needed a new battery. Now its got one.

If anyone has ideas it would be helpful.

Mark Murphy
On Monday, January 13, 2014 11:18:24 PM UTC-5, smac0031 wrote:

> My DA G4 doesn't shut down when you select shut down from the menu. It
> just malingers.
>
> Mark Murphy

---
"G-Group" group.