On Jun 3, 2014, at 7:57 AM, Nestamicky <nestami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why for example, do manufacturers still offer five years warranty on
> so-called enterprise HDs, and a year or two for "prosumers" as Peter tells
> us?

Because they charge 2-4X for those drives. Remember the cardinal rule of
engineering:

"Fast, Good, Cheap. Choose any two."

Also, the Ubuntu folks don't write or maintain Samba. The people to complain to
would be Samba.org

You REALLY don't want companies to go off and write their own SMB stacks. We
had the misfortune of buying a cheap SAN (Nexenta - based) just as Apple
released 10.7 (with, yes, their completely re-written SMB stack. At least it
adheres to standards, unlike Nexenta's rewritten version of Samba..to the point
that for three months Macs were unable to connect to our servers if they were
running 10.7. Even now, Macs cannot connect to this system via DFS.)

Thankfully we just replaced the old one with a new one (that cost a LOT more
money...remember 'Good, Fast, Cheap') that actually works as expected.

And I have become vastly more aware and versed in Apple's AD command-line tools
than I ever wanted to be...

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are." B. Banzai, PhD

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.