This is an odd one, at least for me. I'm using two 2 tb sata drives behind a seritek internal card on my ancient G4 Mystic, and backing up (clone) via Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) manually every two weeks or so. My everyday drive, WD2, is one of 2 partitions, my backup drive uses none, with 10.4.11 PPC on both. I've let WD2 get a bit to full on occasion lately (less than 20 gb free space at times).

Safari crashes (not that unusual these days) and won't relaunch. I try all the usual trashing of preferences, caches, plugins, etc, reboot and run applejack to no avail. Then itunes won't launch. Boot up the backup drive and all is well there. Run disk warrior on WD2 with no major problems found. Try replacing the offending apps from the backup and reboot into WD2 to no avail. Run Disk Utility to recheck permissions, check The Google for solutions,,,, no luck. In desperation and running out of time, I decide to clone over my most important files with CCC, leaving the Application folder and system files unchecked,,, CCC won't boot. Other apps, including apples preview, text edit, are still launching and working fine.

I reboot the backup and run CCC, attempting to clone over emails and recent work/files using WD2 as source (not recommended,,, what a mess!). CCC warns me and doesn't clone over system files and apps. When done, CCC displays an error message saying there were problems with the attributes of a /.vol file. I check the WD2 drive with the venerable FindPro and Word 5.1 (able to find and sometimes open invisible files and folders), and lo and behold, no .vol file at root level or anywhere else for that matter. When checking the backup drive I found an alias for a .vol file at root. If I knew how to use the terminal or the exact nature of this .vol file/alias, I'd be willing to try and copy it over from my backup, but I have reached the upper layers of my incompetence and need the help of the experts,,,, Please ?

Thanks,,, be back this evening.

to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.