------ Original Message ------
From: "Kris Tilford" <ktilfo...@cox.net>
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: 4/16/2015 1:15:03 PM
Subject: Re: Strange Blue & White G3 issues with booting 10.4 Install or 10.3.9.

On Apr 16, 2015, at 6:43 AM, Scott Holder <sc...@iamscott.net> wrote:

I finally got some time together to do this. Unfortunately, with both a clean-installed and working 10.4, and a 10.4 installed and updated 10.4.11 on the Beige G3 moved to the B&W do the same thing. On a regular boot, it spins for a bit and shows a black rectangle. Safe mode boot sits at the gray apple and spins forever. I can only assume at this point that there's something it really doesn't like with the hardware. Since it does seem to boot Single User Mode, I'm thinking something with the hacked video card. I found a source online for the original ATI Rage 128 Pro PCI video card that it should have come with. Soon as it arrives I'll give that a shot.

You probably should be using Verbose boot option so you can see what the problem is. You can do this by holding the Cmd-v keyboard keys at startup; or by booting into Open Firmware using the Cmd-Opt-o-f keys and then at the command prompt type the command:

set-defailts <Return>
setenv boot-args -v <Return>
reset-all  <Return>

Sorry, I should have included that detail in the followup. The verbose output is the same as in the original message with the 10.4 boots. No change at all, more or less.

where  <Return> means hit the Return key after entering the command.

I don’t think the video card is likely the issue, although it’s possible. Since the Rage cards don’t support Quartz Extreme they’re pretty useless for Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5. Ideally the optimal video card is a flashed nVidia GeForce FX5200 that supports both QE & Core Image, but any of the Radeon PCI cards are also acceptable for enabling Quartz Extreme, and you may be able to enable Core Image by tweaking the Framework info.plist to allow Core Image over PCI.
At the moment, I'd just rather like it to work. My Beige G3 was pretty decent in 10.4 with its built-in graphics, so I'm sure it'd work decently in this. I may look into a Radeon if I can't get this GeForce card working. We'll see how it turns out with the Rage. I don't really understand what cause the video card could have either, especially since it works in 10.3 fully, and 10.3.3 in safe mode (but not regular mode). All I can figure if this is the problem is 10.3 has some kind of older driver that works while newer ones trip over something in the card. We'll see.

Scott

to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.