On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:54 PM, mkehoe <mirake...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Apple genius bar person was pretty sure that the video card on the 1.25
> dual G4 is causing the symptoms I've been having: long time on the solid
> blue screen before my home page appears, etc.

They still provide support at the Genius Bar for PowerPC products?
That's pretty surprising. When you say "home page", I assume you're
talking about the login screen when booting? I don't see how your
graphics card could affect that unless there's something going on with
hardware identification/initialization that is causing a delay. You
could use a utility like XPostFacto to enter verbose mode on startup
and look at any messages that stall for a while.

While there is a difference between those two cards (the 9000 is a
level or two higher than the MX 4 in terms of performance, depending
on the specific model of card) there shouldn't be any noticeable
difference in OS X itself, unless you're doing some gaming or running
a really high resolution.

--
[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.