On Nov 21, 2015, at 10:45 AM, mkehoe
<mirake...@gmail.com<mailto:mirake...@gmail.com>> wrote:

We have a G4 iBook running Tiger, and and a late 2009 iMac running Snow
Leopard.  One thought is (with the help of Apple Care) to incrementally upgrade
the iMac one OS at a time, and upgrading the external iTunes along with it.
When the iTunes is finally upgraded to Yosemite on the iMac, it should
(conceivably) work when attached to te Mac Mini running Yosemite.

I think that is the best idea.

The G4 iBook can be upgraded to Leopard.  I have the discs, so I might try to
upgrade that computer and try running the external iTunes drive from that.

That might also get the iTunes library migrated up to a sufficient level to
move it to the iMac.

Some quick googling also brings up some potentially very useful information:

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201610> I don’t know if your older version
of iTunes has this information, but xml is parseable text.

<http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/XML/Digging_Into_The_ITunes_Library_File.htm>

If nothing else you can preserve a readable copy of your playlists this way;

Have you tried ‘export playlist’?
<http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive>
 This may or may not apply to the versions of iTunes you’re messing with.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---