I agree with others who have suggested keeping backups of your computer.  IMHO,
the external drive that runs TimeMachine should be ON 24/7.  I have 2 external
drives:  1 runs TimeMachine and the other runs SuperDuper!.  SuperDuper! is
like CarbonCopy Cloner in that it runs on a schedule that you determine and you
can use the external HD to boot your Mac.  Very valuable.

Larry