> On Mar 8, 2016, at 12:16 AM, 'TRGPN WebMaster' via G-Group
> <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 7, 2016, at 3:12 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>
> "In the light of the advent of Mac ransomware, however, I’m starting to think
> that maybe keeping backups disconnected might be a good thing; if you get a
> ransomware infection, all mounted volumes are going to be affected, which
> would include a Time Machine volume. "
>

> If I use CCC to update a clone backup more frequently than every 72 hours,
> when I discover I’ve been "ransomwared” won’t it be too late, i.e., the clone
> will have been contaminated too, right?

Well, IF this is your only backup, it would require taking more steps to
restore the data:

Nuke and pave the Mac with a clean install of the os. Download something like
MalwareBytes for Mac <https://www.malwarebytes.org>, clean up the backup disks
and then restore the old data.

Pretty much what we did (only with Windows) for the prof here who got hit with
Locky; fortunately Locky didn’t encrypt the system restore points that
"Previous Versions” creates.

I’ve also read more about the Mac ransomware since and it appears that it
tried, but was unable to encrypt Time Machine volumes; I’m not sure this was
because of any special things apple’s done (only the process backupd can write
to a Time Machine volume, I’m not sure how hard or easy it would be to replace
or override backupd to use it to corrupt a backup.) or simply because it was
poorly written, and relies mainly on a user’s panic at losing everything to
extort them.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona