On Mar 12, 2019, at 2:07 AM, smac0031
<m.smurph...@gmail.com<mailto:m.smurph...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I bought a 2006 Intel Mac Pro that sort of works.

I'm pretty sure the Intel is running El Capitan. This allows it to communicate
with my iPhone 8+. I think
something may have been patched the person who sold it. For instance when I try
to pull up "About
this Mac" nothing comes up.

This is the first problem. If you’re starting with a messed up system, you’re
not going to make it better by trying to patch in stuff from an older one.

Start Terminal. Don’t worry this one is easy!

type : sw_vers at the prompt and hit enter, it should tell you the version of
software you have:

from mine:

dbdev2:~ johnson$ sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.13.6
BuildVersion: 17G5019

Now, go to Apple’s website, click on Support, (and presuming you are correct
that it has El Capitan) enter 10.11 combo update (or the actual ProductVersion
that you get from the above command, just the 10.nn part) which should take you
to a page that lists a bunch of updtes. Find the highest numbered one for your
version, download it and install it.

An example:
https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&type=organic&src=support_searchbox_main&locale=en_US&q=10.11+combo+update

With luck this will fix the problems like ‘it was customized’ that you’re
seeing.

If it does not, then you’ll need to find the full installer, nuke and pave the
Intel Mac and then migrate the files over again.

It’s a fair bit of work but you might find that this fixes all the issues
you’re having. If it doesn’t come back and we’ll try something else.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---