Can anyone suggest a network hard drive I can use with g4u? I'd like
these features:

*Available in the USA, or can be shipped to the USA
*It plugs into my network switch, grabs an IP from the DHCP server; can
accept the hostname information supplied by the DHCP server.
*Onboard FTP server can accept huge image sizes (>100 Gb)
*Hard drives can be swapped in and out quickly. I do not want to spend
all my time fighting with screws and plastic shells that interlock with
impossible tightness.

I'm even wondering if I can build a network hard drive on one of my
breadboards using an AVR or PIC microcontroller and ethernet hardware.
Breadboarding will not exactly lend to portability, but I would learn a
lot about ethernet and ftp. Are there kits available? Maybe I could
build something to fit inside a Pelican case (which is waterproof.)

Portability is important. My family and friends often ask me to fix
their computers, and most of the time they want software fixed. I'm
starting to appreciate the value of making a fast on-the-fly backup. g4u
plus a network hard drive seems a good combination. A network image
transfer would be faster than a local disk copy, yes? Faster than
firewire or USB?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Maryland, USA