I don't have hardware to test this with in reach right now, and time's
even scarcer during the upcoming few weeks, but maybe someone wants to
play with this:

FAQ: how can i boot g4u from usb stick

Assumptions:
  - USB stick with some files that you don't want to nuke
  - FAT filesystem (should be the usual case)
  - You have NetBSD running somewhere, with access to the USB port
    (no idea how to do that in Parallels/VMware)

Idea:
  - put the g4u kernel (called "netbsd") on your usb stick as \netbsd
  - add a NetBSD /usr/mdec/boot as \boot
  - use NetBSD's installboot(8) with bootxx_fat16 to install a bootloader
    onto the USB stick that can then boot \boot, which in turn loads
    \netbsd. The command line could be something like:

        installboot -v /dev/rsd0d /usr/mdec/bootxx_fat16

    Be warned that my installboot-fu is VERY weak, and that you may need to
    play with this. This may also need NetBSD-current (get it from
    ftp.netbsd.org in /pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD).

I'd appreciate any feedback if this is just a silly idea, or if it works.
:)

  - Hubert