On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Kim Mik wrote:
> Can the NetBSD kernel in one of the next releases, be in the multiboot
> format?
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2007/03/01/inside-multiboot.html
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2007/03/01/inside-multiboot.html?page=2
>
> Julio M. Merino Vidal made the nessesary changes in the netbsd-4 stable
> branch.
> As far as I know g4u uses the NetBSD-3.1 branch. I am only familiar with
> linux.
> Will there be a switch to the netbsd-4 branch in one of the next
> releases?
>
> This will allow users to boot the kernel with isolinux and syslinux.
> So users can include g4u in a custum iso with other usefull tools (e.g.
> with Ultimate boot CD).
>
> The isolinux.cfg entry will look like this.
>     LABEL g4u
>     KERNEL mboot.c32
>     APPEND g4u-krnl
> where g4u-krnl is the netbsd kernel

Please note that recent versions of g4u are based on NetBSD-current, which
is long-past NetBSD 4.x, and rather close to what NetBSD 5.0 will be.
As such, I think enabling multiboot support in the kernel shouldn't be
much of a problem - if you want you can rebuild it yourself to test. See
the g4u blog for the latest alpha version.

(Multiboot is not a new format; It's still ELF, but the passing of
parameters between the bootloader and the kernel is accprding to, well,
the multiboot specs, which are not what NetBSD uses by default).

  - Hubert