On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Torsten Harenberg wrote:
> 1.) At least on my system, sysinst was not built, but is needed later. So
> this does the trick
>
> cd /usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst
> TOOLDIR=/usr/src/obj.i386/tooldir/ OBJDIR=/usr/src/obj.i386/ \
> DESTDIR=/usr/src/obj.i386/destdir/ \
> RELEASEDIR=/usr/src/obj.i386/releasedir make

FWIW, you want to use the "nbmake-i386" program that's built somewhere in
.../src/obj.i386/tooldir/bin or so - it automatically sets those variables
for you (actually, it's a shell wrapper for the tools "nbmake" program.

Also, I have no idea from the top of myhead why sysinst isn't built...
it's needed for the install ISOs, so should be built.

> 2.) after finishing the build, the iso image was bootable inside VMware,
> but not on real hardware ("can't read CD" after primary bootstrap).
>
> It turned out that I hit this bug here:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2009/10/24/msg010932.html
>
> the author stated that the problem vanishes if one updates to at least
> 5.99.21 (G4U's is build against sources from "20091018" and this is 5.99.20)
>
> I updated the sources to -D 20091208 instead of -D 20091018. The G4U patches
> still apply without any misses. And after a complete rebuild, the new iso
> image now also boots fine on real hardware.

I've updated the build instructions to contain this date.
Thanks for the hint!

> I did some more modifications to enable GPT, but this was more or less
> straight forward. I didn't try to copy single GPT partitions, as I don't
> need that. I doubt that this would work as these are not mapped to the
> disklabel and to my knowledge G4U relies on disklabel entries, or am I
> wrong?
>
> Is anybody else interested in getting GPT to work? In this case I would
> love to co-operate.

Maybe ask that question on the NetBSD lists, too.

  - Hubert