Hi Hubert Thanks for reply. Just to clarify the situation "dmesg"
does find wd0 and correctly identify it. It only fails when it tries to
read the partitions. The first sign of trouble is the line:

"wd0: dos partition drive fault"

Then there are several repeats of:

"wd0d device fault reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0),retrying"
followed by

"ixpid0: 0: 0".

It finally gives a last run without the ixped0 line and goes no further.

This drive"wd0" appears to be working normally and I want to make a
local copy of it on a brand new disk. If g4u makes a bit by bit copy
does it matter that it can't read the partitions? I don't want to change
them in any way.

On a different point the only option I can access at start-up of g4u is
"1" as the timer has already run out when I get there!

Cheers Colin Ager  Norfolk UK