On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Jonathan Schleifer
<js-ga...@webkeks.org> wrote:
> Am 24.05.2011 um 00:11 schrieb Zhihao Yuan:
>
>> So? You mean an audio player that occupies the sound device for an
>> hour is correctly but an IM software that borrows the device for
>> seconds is incorrect?
>
> Yes, I do. If my audio player is running, I want to listen to music, not get
> a "Device is busy" error message followed by the player stopping because
> Gajim took /dev/dsp.

I'm not sure whether you understand what Gajim does. If your audio
player (the one only knows OSS) is running, gajim can not open the OSS
device.

>> Think about it.
>
> There's nothing to think about it, experience taught me it's really annoying.

Then show me your "experience". Don't imaging.

>> And btw, no proper audio player
>> only supports OSS.
>
> It matters exactly zero if the audio player supports more than OSS. It might
> support Sun Audio and use that so that it does not have to use OSS emulation.
> Do I care? No. Does it make any difference? No. Busy soundcard is busy
> soundcard, no matter how it has been opened…

You know what? "Busy soundcard is busy soundcard". That's not anyone
but the stupid GNU believers' fault! 1. Do not complain if you do no
meet the problem (actually, it's pretty hard to reproduce); 2.
Complain with GNU's philosophy, not me.

--
Zhihao Yuan