Assaf and Pieter,

That worked like a charm!  I installed the gsed port from MacPorts and then
edited the shell script, "fastx_barcode_splitter_galaxy_wrapper.sh", replacing
the two instances of "sed" with "gsed".  Ran Galaxy again, and the barcode
splitter worked perfectly.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this.  Excellent
advice.

Jeff