As to how to figure out the id for copying, there isn't an exposed method for
doing this.  If you're willing to do a little work to decode it, you can do the
following in python.

For the encoded id (the "b701da857886499b" portion that you see in a dataset
url "/galaxy/datasets/b701da857886499b/display"), we use the blowfish
implementation in pycrypto, with the 'id_secret' in your universe_wsgi.ini as
the key.  Given an object_id and the id_secret from Galaxy, you should be able
to do something like (code from lib/galaxy/web/security/__init__.py):

If you haven't changed it, the id_secret is literally what is used below,
"USING THE DEFAULT IS NOT SECURE!", exactly.

>>> id_secret_from_galaxy = "USING THE DEFAULT IS NOT SECURE!"
>>> obj_id = "b701da857886499b"
>>> from Crypto.Cipher import Blowfish
>>> cipher = Blowfish.new(id_secret_from_galaxy)
>>> cipher.decrypt( obj_id.decode('hex')).lstrip("!")
'70'

And from this ID, we know to grab dataset_70.dat from the
galaxy_root/database/files/000/ folder (assuming the default file storage path).

Let me know if this isn't clear and I'll try and help out.

-Dannon