On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Jesse Erdmann <jerdm...@umn.edu> wrote:
> files visible in the first place and hide and link to the other items
> generated that aren't as likely to be reused is subsequent tasks.  The

That sounds like a good way to use Html outputs - use the html history
item to hide all the 'informational' artifacts not likely to be needed
for downstream tools but expose anything likely to be needed for
further tool processing as a separate history item.

Note that at a pinch, users can 'upload' individual html content files
by pasting their links into the upload tool URL box if they really
need them as individual history items but it's a slightly ugly process
so best to explicitly expose the ones likely to be useful downstream.

> metadata, like which genome is associated with the output should be
> picked up from the parent file if I'm not mistaken.  I think this

Not automatic. AFAIK You need to explicitly ask - eg if you have an
input file called bar and an output file defined something like:

<data format="fasta" name="foo" metadata_source="bar" />

then output file foo will have metadata copied over from input file bar