Thanks for the replies. One extra element I failed to properly describe is
that we are running on a cluster with a similar setup to CloudMan. This
means we have a galaxyTools/tools directory with folders for each tool, and
subfolders for each version with a "default" symlink to the version
currently in use. Each subfolder has a "env.sh" script which is added by
the dependency manager to the qsub script to be processed at runtime . I
was thinking that one of the benefits of using the "requirements" tag is
that it would/could allow for tool and version specific dependency chains.
For instance if a version of tophat only runs with a certain version of
bowtie but you want to make the newest beta version of bowtie also
available to run independently.

Right now the (sort of problem) I am having is that in order for the
necessary PATH information to be transmitted to the compute nodes I have to
have bowtie and samtools listed as requirements in the tool wrapper. The
PATH variable of the galaxy user doesn't transmit to the compute nodes
(despite having it set before launching the main instance of galaxy). With
our current setup I have seen this with several different tools that call
other tools and so I am wondering if my cluster/cloud setup has gone wrong
somewhere. Is there a "right" way or place to specify the runtime PATH so
that it will be transmitted to the compute nodes? Just trying to figure
this out in terms of "best practices" since my current setup seems to
require modification of the default wrappers to transmit PATH information
to the compute nodes.

Thanks again,
Andrew