I'd love to know answers to this question as well.  So far, all I've done is
create two tools for copying files between Galaxy and a user's personal
directories using a rather dangerous setuid executable.

I have mulled over two possibilities for this problem.  One is to run Galaxy as
root.  The other is for each user to kick off their own personal instance of
Galaxy as themselves, but accessing the same main database and file repository.
 The latter would require all files be read-write accesible to all users.
Neither is good.