Peter has it right in that we need to do this internally to ensure
functionality across a range of job runners.  A side benefit is that it gives
us direct access to the tasks so that we can eventually do interesting things
with scheduling, resubmission, feedback, etc.  If the overhead looks to be a
performance issue I could see having an override that would allow pushing task
scheduling to the underlying cluster, but that functionality would come later.

-Dannon