On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Daniel Sobral
<dsob...@igc.gulbenkian.pt> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For certain tools, like bwa or blast, there is a non-configurable number
> of threads to use inside the tool xml.
> This is inconvenient for certain cluster configurations, where what we
> want is division of a job into multiple jobs (I guess this is what is
> intended by the <parallel> tag), and not creation of threads that may
> wreak havoc in a cluster.
>
> Is there any reason why bwa and blast have --num-threads=8
> pre-configured in the xml file?

Because there isn't a way (yet) to set this via the universe_wsgi.ini
file. I have asked about this in the past - but can see it is quite
complex and often the idea setting is going to be tool specific.

Note those setttings hardcoded in the <command> tag control
the number of thread in a single job - and I setup my job runners
in universe_wsgi.ini to match (e.g. tell SGE I want 8 threads, or
an entire machine for this job).

Separately to this, in the <parallelism> tag of a tool is a hard coded
splitting strategy (if this experimental feature is enabled in your
universe_wsgi.ini file) for breaking a job into sub-jobs, which are
submitted to the cluster separate. Here again a configuration
mechanism could be nice.