On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtene...@fhcrc.org> wrote:
> Hello Hans-Rudolph,
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Hans-Rudolf Hotz <h...@fmi.ch> wrote:
>> Hi Dan
>>

>> There seems to be several issues connected with each other or not, I don't
>> know.....
>>

>> - Let's start with the 'curiosity': Do you get this problem with any
>>  tool?
>
> No. And, I should be a bit more specific about what happens. When I
> click "execute" I see this:
>
> The following job has been successfully added to the queue:
>
> 36: RNASeq tool on data 3 and data 4
> 37: RNASeq tool on data 3 and data 4
>

> Does it also happen with a 'simple' (ie not using R) tool you
>>  add?
>>

> No.
>
>> - When you execute your R script on the command line, are you running
>>  it as the same user as Galaxy executes the job?
>
> Yes.
>

>> - we execute R scripts the following way:
>>
>>  <command>Rscript --vanilla /full path to script/script.R -n $name
>>     -i $infile -o $outfile</command>
>>
>>  and in the R script we use the library 'getopt'
>>

> Good idea. Taking a closer, look, I found my R script was not
> expecting arguments in the same order that the XML script provided
> them in.
> I fixed that and now the R script runs without warning or error, but I
> still get the "8-bit bytestrings" error, and the error "Unable to
> finish job".
>
> However, by printing out the arguments within R, I can see the name of
> the output files that are supposed to be generated, and it looks like
> they are generated. So why doesn't the job finish?
>
> I think the 8 bit bytestrings error might be because R outputs
> backticks (`) and they show up escaped in the galaxy error like this:
> \xe2\x80\x98.
>
> Is there some way that I can set my LOCALE so that R uses an encoding
> that galaxy is happier with? Or perhaps I can get R to stop outputting
> those backticks somehow.

Answering my own question here (but following up with more questions).
R was ouputting not backticks but curly quotes, and I turned these off
by putting:

options("useFancyQuotes" = FALSE)

in my R script.

However, my R script is still failing:

Dataset generation errors

Dataset 46: RNASeq tool on data 3 and data 4

Tool execution generated the following error message:
BiocInstaller version 1.5.7, ?biocLite for help

Attaching package: 'BiocGenerics'

The following object(s) are masked from 'package:stats':

    xtabs

The following object(s) are masked from 'package:base':

    anyDuplicated, cbind, colnames, duplicated, eval, Filter, Find,
    get, intersect, lapply, Map, mapply, mget, order, paste, pmax,
    pmax.int, pmin, pmin.int, Position, rbind, Reduce, rep.int,
    rownames, sapply, setdiff, table, tapply, union, unique

Welcome to Bioconductor

    Vignettes contain introductory material; view with
    'browseVignettes()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
    'citation("Biobase")', and for packages 'citation("pkgname")'.

Calculating library sizes from column totals.
Running estimateCommonDisp() on DGEList object before proceeding with
estimateTagwiseDisp().
The tool produced the following additional output:
pdf_outfile=
/Users/dtenenba/dev/galaxy-dist/database/files/000/dataset_46.dat
csv_outfile=
/Users/dtenenba/dev/galaxy-dist/database/files/000/dataset_47.dat
pdf
  2

The thing is, none of this is an error. This is the exact output the
script is supposed to produce, and it prints out the filenames of the
two output files it creates, and I can verify that those exist and
have the correct contents. So why does it say there is an error?

Could it be the return code?
I added
q(save="no", status=0)
to the end of the R script to ensure that the script exits with status
code 0, but that did not change the error I got.

So I am not sure how to solve this. The script works exactly as it's
supposed to and creates the desired output, but tells me there is an
error, and gives no way through the web interface to retrive the
created output file.

Also, I found out why two jobs were started each time I click
"Execute". It's because I had two files in my <outputs> section:

  <outputs>
    <data format="pdf" name="out_file1" />
    <data format="csv" name="out_file2" />
  </outputs>

Because my script generates two output files, a csv and a PDF. I took
out the first <data> line above, and stopped passing the corresponding
argument to my script, and the script no longer creates the PDF. Now
the job only runs once each time I click "Execute". But I would like
the script to once again produce both output files.

So, perhaps it was doing the right thing all along...showing one
dataset in the history panel for each output file produced.

Looking through the galaxy distribution, I see at least one other tool
that does the same thing. So, sorry for the noise on this.

In any case, I still get the same error described above even when only
one output file is produced.

Thanks,
Dan

>> I hope this get's you a little bit further.
>

> Thanks much,
> Dan
>

>> Regards, Hans
>>

>> On 04/24/2012 11:56 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
>>>
>>> Apologies for originally posting this to galaxy-user; now I realize it
>>> belongs here.
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm a galaxy newbie and running into several issues trying to adapt an
>>> R script to be a galaxy tool.
>>>
>>> I'm looking at the XY plotting tool for guidance
>>> (tools/plot/xy_plot.xml), but I decided not to embed my script in XML,
>>> but instead have it in a separate script file, that way I can still
>>> run it from the command line and make sure it works as I make
>>> incremental changes. (So my script starts with args<-
>>> commandArgs(TRUE)). Also, if it doesn't work, this suggests to me that
>>> there is a problem with my galaxy configuration.
>>>
>>> First, I tried using the r_wrapper.sh script that comes with the XY
>>> plotting tool,  but it threw away my arguments:
>>>
>>> An error occurred running this job: ARGUMENT
>>> '/Users/dtenenba/dev/galaxy-dist/database/files/000/dataset_4.dat'
>>> __ignored__
>>>
>>> ARGUMENT
>>> '/Users/dtenenba/dev/galaxy-dist/database/files/000/dataset_3.dat'