From: Assaf Gordon [mailto:gor...@cshl.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, 18 July 2012 9:59 a.m.
To: Smithies, Russell
Cc: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] NTLM auth not passing http_remote_user?

Hello Russell,

Smithies, Russell wrote, On 07/17/2012 05:41 PM:
> It appears that NTLM isn't passing the HTTP_REMOTE_USER through for us.
> Anyone else struck this and found a solution?
>
> Our apache config looks like this:
>
>     <Location "/">
>       AuthName "Galaxy"
>       NTLMAuth on
>       NTLMAuthHelper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp"
>       NTLMBasicAuthoritative on
>       AuthType NTLM
>       require valid-user
>
>     # Take the $REMOTE_USER environment variable and set it as a header in
> the proxy request.
>       RewriteCond %{IS_SUBREQ} ^false$
>       RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} (.+)
>       RewriteRule . - [E=RU:%1]
>       RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{RU}e
>
>     </Location>

<snip>

> HTTP_REMOTE_USER
> '(null)'

One voodoo solution that worked for me (not with NTLM, but exactly with the
same '(null)' symptom) is to take the entire "RewriteCond" part outside of the
<Location> block.
Put it in the global configuration file, after the <Location> part, but before
the proxy statement.

Also, the exact incantation that worked for me (after many many trials and
errors) is:
===
RewriteRule . - [E=RU:%{LA-U:REMOTE_USER}] RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{RU}e
===

It's voodoo (to me) because it probably has something to do with deep apache
internals, relating to execution order of the authentication module vs the
"mod_rewrite" parts (and the "LA-U" [Look-ahead] thing sure doesn't help to
make it clearer...).

-gordon

sender immediately.