The renaming input selector uses # instead of $ to allow combinations with
workflow parameters.

So, in your case, #{input} should work.  There are also options (basename,
upper, lower) that you can use to format the text.  So, #{input | upper} would
use the input name but ensure that it was all uppercase.

-Dannon