From: galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu
[mailto:galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu] On Behalf Of John Chilton
Sent: Wednesday, 17 October 2012 12:49 AM
To: Sascha Kastens
Cc: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] Number of outputs = number of inputs

I don't believe this is possible in Galaxy right now. Are the outputs
independent or is information from all inputs used to produce all outputs? If
they are independent, you can create a workflow containing just your tool with
1 input and 1 output and use the batch workflow mode to run it on multiple
files and get multiple outputs. This is not a beautiful solution but it gets
the job done in some cases.

Another thing to look at might be the discussion we are having on the thread
"pass more information on a dataset merge". We have a fork (its all work from
Jorrit Boekel) of galaxy that creates composite datatypes for each explicitly
defined type that can hold collections of a single type.

https://bitbucket.org/galaxyp/galaxy-central-homogeneous-composite-datatypes/compare

This would hopefully let you declare that you can accept a collection of
whatever your input type is and produce a collection of whatever your output
is. Lots of downsides to this approach - not fully implemented, and not
included in Galaxy proper, your outputs would be wrapped up in a composite
datatype so they wouldn't be easily processable by downstream tools. It would
be good to have additional people hacking on it though :)

-John

John Chilton
Senior Software Developer
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
Office: 612-625-0917
Cell: 612-226-9223
Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/jmchilton
Github: https://github.com/jmchilton