Hi James,
We have made some progress in understanding the workflow-specific job crashes.

It seems that 'parallel' workflows are sending jobs simultaneously, and this is problematic for torque.

We get this error:
10/18/2012 10:06:18;0080;PBS_Server;Req;req_reject;Reject reply code=15058(Bad DIS based Request Protocol MSG=cannot decode message), aux=0, type=Connect, from @

There is a thread here:
http://osdir.com/ml/galaxy-source-control/2011-08/msg00136.html

which is very similar to what we are experiencing.

In the post linked above, the author indicates he found a fix (pasted below). Would you recommend we make the same change?

Thanks!
Todd

"To deal with this I modified the lib/galaxy/jobs/runners/pbs.py script to make multiple attempts at submitting in the following way: @@ -286,6 +286,12 @@ class PBSJobRunner( BaseJobRunner ): log.debug("(%s) submitting file %s" % ( galaxy_job_id, job_file ) ) log.debug("(%s) command is: %s" % ( galaxy_job_id, command_line ) ) job_id = pbs.pbs_submit(c, job_attrs, job_file, pbs_queue_name, None)+ ##Modified to give ten tries for qsubbing a job+ num_try=0+ while(not job_id and num_try<10): + job_id = pbs.pbs_submit(c, job_attrs, job_file, pbs_queue_name, None)+ num_try+=1+ pbs.pbs_disconnect(c) # check to see if it submitted "