The Galaxy application does store quite a bit in memory (not as
globals though). This doesn't preclude running under mod_wsgi, but it
will work best in a configuration that uses a small number of long
running processes with multiple threads.

Basically, we run nginx proxying paste on the main Galaxy, so that is
the configuration that is most well tested, and that is what we
recommend (and can help support most easily). Other configurations
might work just fine. I've used Galaxy with various other wsgi servers
with issues.

The performance of Paste's http server isn't really an issue since all
requests that actually to paste require database access, which is
typically orders of magnitude slower than Paste#http's overhead.

-- jt