The error you saw was generated by tabix (which is used for fast random access
to interval files), so it's possible that you hit tabix's upper bound. You
might consider following up with the tabix folks to see what the issue is.

As you noted, your dataset is definitely better formatted as a wiggle/bigwig
file.

Best,
J.