Essentially, this the similar to a dataset upload where the origin is from a
web page when a user clicks on a HTML button. The button is not part of the
tool framework but any number of possible
I am writing a variety of data editors in JavaScript and it would be convenient
to upload the dataset into the user's current history list.
of JavaScript actions.

I think I should be able to use the regular upload1 (upload.py) machinery. But
So far, I have not had success in tricking it with my JavaScript function. I
know that I could add web api. But there is a lot hairy code in the history
dataset association that looks like it will change. So I'd rather keep it
simple.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ted

function UploadToHistory(name, value) {
    var
    payload = {  tool_id: "upload1",
        'file_type': 'tabular',
        'file_name', name,
        'dbkey': '?',
        'files_0|url_paste': value};

    $.ajax( {
        async:      false,
        type:       "POST",
        url:        "/tool_runner/index",
        data:       payload,
        dataType:   "json",
        success:    function(array_obj, status) { console.log("success",
array_obj, status); },
        failure:    function() {console.log("fail");}
    } );
}