I don't know how to speak intelligently about this, so excuse my
imprecise language. The idea is that you need to still pass session
information (REMOTE_USER) along so JavaScript can access the API, but
for /api you need to make that optional.

I have an Apache server using TKTAuth. For that server I added this at
the end of my VirtualHost file to accomplish this.

    <Location "/api">
      TKTAuthGuestLogin on
    </Location>

For my cloud images, I use nginx + ldap and there I added this block:

       location  /api {
            proxy_set_header REMOTE_USER $remote_user;

            proxy_pass  http://galaxy_app;
            proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-Host $host;
            proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        }

Which looks a lot like my "location /" block but doesn't have an
auth_ldap_require statement.

Hope this helps.

-John