On Feb 7, 2013, at 9:07 AM, graham etherington (TSL) wrote:

> Hi Nate,
> It's a sporadic problem (in that it happens quite often, but not all the
> time) and yes, the Galaxy jobs are dispatched to a cluster.
> I'm not sure about the shared file system. Galaxy is defined as a user on
> our cluster, along with many other users. Does that answer your question?
> Cheers,
> Graham

Thanks Graham, that information helps.  It's not really possible to use Galaxy
on a cluster without a shared filesystem at this point.  My guess as to what's
going on here is that the filesystem is caching attributes (e.g. that the file
is empty) on job outputs.  This can be disabled via specific mount options,
there is some discussion of it at the bottom of this section in the
documentation:

http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Performance/Cluster#Unified_Method

--nate