There was a small, but important error in the proxy configuration...
I had to pass the /api/ part to a proxy again with a [P] directive, not just the [L].

So the correct proxy definition is:

<Directory /mnt/ngs/analysis/svcgalaxy/galaxy-dist/static>
  Options FollowSymLinks
  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

<Proxy http://localhost:8080>
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "GALAXY@GHI. Please log in with your Windows account"
        AuthBasicProvider ldap
        AuthLDAPURL "ldap://__YOUR_LDAP_SERVER/ou=Users - Employees,dc=genomichealth,dc=com?sAMAccountName?sub?(objectClass=*)"
        AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
        AuthLDAPBindDN __USERNAME__
        AuthLDAPBindPassword __PASSWORD
        Require valid-user
        RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{AUTHENTICATE_SAMACCOUNTNAME}e
</Proxy>

#Extended the timeout since some GALAXY actions can take a long time
TimeOut 60000
RewriteEngine on
ReWriteRule ^(/api/.*) http://localhost:8081$1 [P,L]
RewriteRule ^/static/style/(.*) /mnt/ngs/analysis/svcgalaxy/galaxy-dist/static/june_2007_style/blue/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/static/scripts/(.*) /mnt/ngs/analysis/svcgalaxy/galaxy-dist/static/scripts/packed/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/static/(.*) /mnt/ngs/analysis/svcgalaxy/galaxy-dist/static/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/favicon.ico /mnt/ngs/analysis/svcgalaxy/galaxy-dist/static/favicon.ico [L]
RewriteRule ^/robots.txt /mnt/ngs/analysis/svcgalaxy/galaxy-dist/static/robots.txt [L]
RewriteRule ^/admin/jobs(.*) http://localhost:8079/admin/jobs$1 [P]
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://localhost:8080$1 [P]