There were several issues and bugs I encountered getting this script to
work. I've written down some notes for a quickstart for anyone else who
might be following in my footsteps.

1. Create input and output directores where you will drop and emit files.
In my example I used:

/Users/Rob/Documents/galaxy-drop/input

/Users/Rob/Documents/galaxy-drop/output

2. Edit the galaxy-dist configuration script (universe_wsgi.ini) and set:

allow_library_path_paste = true

3. In example_watch_folder.py, comment out line 30 and replace it with:

#library_id = library[0]['id]      This causes a "key error : 0" -- remove
the indexing

           library_id = library['id']

4. In example_watch_folder.py change the sleep duration on line 59 to 15
seconds. If you're still getting zero byte .dat files, then you'll need to
extend the duration even more.

time.sleep(15)

5. CREATE A SAMPLE Workflow & Dataset:

   1. Start Galaxy
   2. Go to USCS and upload the Exons from chr22 to your clean history file
   3. Use the Text Manipulation tool to select the first 5 lines of the
   gene exon file
   4. Extract the workflow
   5. IMPORTANT: If you don't do the following step you'll get a 500
   Internal Server.
   6. Change the output filename in the workflow and then save the
   workflow.
   7. Test that the workflow is accessable by visiting
'http://<galaxy_server/api/workflows'
   in your browser, and then visit 'http://
   <galaxy_server/api/workflows/<workflow_id>
   8. Download the exons file to local

6. In your browser go to: http://localhost:8080/api/workflows and identify
the id of the workflow you've just created. Let's assume it is
(4b187121143038ff) and that your api_key for admin is <api_key>

7. Run the script:

./example_watch_folder.py <api_key> http://localhost:8080/api/
/Users/Rob/Documents/galaxy-drop/input
/Users/Rob/Documents/galaxy-drop/output "My API Import" 4b187121143038ff

8. Copy the exons file to /Users/Rob/Documents/galaxy-drop/input when the
process is complete the file will be placed in
/Users/Rob/Documents/galaxy-drop/output

9. In your browser go to: http://localhost:8080/api/histories locate the
recently created history and then navigate to:

http://localhost:8080/api/histories/<history_id>/contents

where <history_id> is the id of the history that was created when you ran
the dataset on the last workflow.

This is my result. The second file is the output file.

[
    {
        "id": "0d16186aaff7cbfd",
        "name": "Galaxy1-[Exons_chr22].bed",
        "type": "file",
        "url": "/api/histories/2d9035b3fc152403/contents/0d16186aaff7cbfd"
    },
    {
        "id": "81991b32733a4fc4",
        "name": "top200",
        "type": "file",
        "url": "/api/histories/2d9035b3fc152403/contents/81991b32733a4fc4"
]

10. You can navigate to the JSON description of the file in your browser:

http://localhost:8080/api/histories/2d9035b3fc152403/contents/81991b32733a4fc4

and the output file can be downloaded here:

http:localhost:8080/datasets/81991b32733a4fc4/display?to_ext=data

Cheers!
Rob

Rob Leclerc, PhD