I'm unable to reproduce this behavior using a clean version of galaxy-dist. The
code (export_history.py) doesn't create any temporary files and appears to
write directly to the output file, so it seems unlikely that Galaxy is writing
anything to the root directory.

Can you provide the name of any file that Galaxy appears to be writing to
outside of <galaxy-home>? What about watching the job output file/export file
to see if that's increasingly in size and causing the out-of-space error?

Best,
J.