Sure, tools can be written in anything you'd like -- the wrapper
you're referring to is just XML that tells galaxy how to interact with
your command line tool. Here are some resources that should get you
started:

http://screencast.g2.bx.psu.edu/toolIntegration/

http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/ToolConfigSyntax

-Dannon