Hi Greg,

> If numpy is not required for compiling matplotlib components (i.e.,
> matplotlib components just use numpy after installation),
> then you should be able to make this work using a complex repository
> dependency for numpy in your tool_dependencies.xml definition for matplotlib.
>
> The discussion for doing this is at
> http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/DefiningRepositoryDependencies#Complex_repository_dependencies:_tool_dependency_definitions_that_contain_repository_dependency_definitions

Thanks! But it is required at compile time.

> By the way,
>
> I noticed that revision 2:c5fbe4aa5a74 of your package_numpy_1_7 repository
> on the test tool shed includes the following contents.
> Is this the repository you are working with?  Strangely, the repository
> dependency should be invalid because it should not be possible
> for a repository to define a dependency upon any revision of itself.  You may
> have uncovered a way to do this using a tool dependency
> definition with a complex repository dependency.  I'll look into this and
> make sure to provide a fix for the scenario you used.

Oh, ok. in revision 3 of both packages you should see, what I was
trying.

> Instead of the above approach, your approach here should be to include only
> the tool_dependencies.cml definition file for installing only numpy version
> 1.7.1 in a r
> epository named package_numpy_1_7_1 (use the full version in naming the
> repository).  You should create a separate repository named
> package_matplotlib_1_2_1 that
> similarly contains a single tool_dependencies.xml file that (in addition to
> defining how to install and compile mtplotlib) defines a complex repository
> dependency
> on the package_numpy_1_7_1 repository as described in the wiki at the link
> above.
>
> This approach creates 2 separate orphan tool dependencies, the second of
> which (matplotlib) has a complex repository dependency on the first (numpy).
> When you install the package_matplotlib_1_2_1 repository and check the box
> for handling tool dependencies during the installation, it will install the
> package_numpy_1_7_1
> repository and create a pointer to the numpy binary in the env.sh file within
> the package_matplotlib_1_2_1 repository environment.  This enables matplotlib
> to locate the required version of numpy.
>
> I know this is a bit tricky, so please let me know if it still does not make
> sense.

Lets see if I got it right.

repository_dependencies.xml will be pared first. The defined repo's and
the included and populated system variables will be available in
tool_dependencies.xml, which is parsed afterwards. Is that correct?

I will try that. Thanks!
Bjoern