Ok, got it.  Unfortunately this isn't really possible at this time, at
least not without a lot of hacking and dealing with data staging issues and
delays (in downloading data from S3 to local cluster to work, uploading
results back to galaxy server, etc.).

Galaxy, with the exception of the LWR -
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/LWR, relies on a shared
filesystem between the galaxy instance and workers.  I'd really recommend
colocating Galaxy with the cluster, at least for now.  We do want to build
out the ability to use EC2 as an expansion to local clusters, but I imagine
it working the other way around -- that is, you have a local instance that
uses S3 as permanent storage and spin up extra nodes in EC2 to handle
excess load as necessary.

-Dannon