Hi Pieter,

to manipulate the ordering of tools is currently not trivial, as far as
I know. You can add label into your shed_tool_conf.xml and tool_conf.xml
file and they should appear and stay. The final ordering will be a merge
of all your *_tool_conf.xml files into the integrated_tool_panel.xml. If
you change that file you will see that the ordering will change, but
that file can be overwritten.

I would play with the shed_tool_conf.xml and tool_conf.xml, try to
reorder your tools and delete the integrated_tool_panel.xml file. After
restarting you will see the effects.

In each case, the admin needs to do that.

I have a pull request that enables dynamic filtering of tools by the
user, maybe you are interested in testing:

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/pull-request/179/implement-the-ability-to-change-the-tool/diff

Cheers,
Bjoern