On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM, John Chilton <chil...@msi.umn.edu> wrote:
> My recommendation would be make the tool dependency install work on as
> many platforms as you can and not try to optimize in such a way that
> it is not going to work - i.e. favor reproduciblity over performance.

Reproducibility versus speed is a particular issue with floating point
libraries - NumPy using ATLAS vs OpenBLAST vs Intel MKL vs
just plain NumPy will probably all give slightly different answers
(on some tasks), and at different speed.

In this case, for simplicity I would advocate plain NumPy, without
worrying about needing ATLAS. For packages needing NumPy
with ALTAS, perhaps a new Tool Shed entry could be created,
package_numpy_1_7_with_atlas or similar (based on the
current configuration)?