On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM, John Chilton <jmchil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> John - that Trello issue you logged, https://trello.com/c/0XQXVhRz
>>> Generic infrastructure to let deployers specify limits for tools based
>>> on input metadata (number of sequences, file size, etc...)
>>>
>>> Would it be fair to say this is not likely to be implemented in the near
>>> future? i.e. Should we consider implementing the BLAST query limit
>>> approach as a short term hack?
>>
>> It would be good functionality - but I don't foresee myself or anyone
>> on the core team getting to it in the next six months say.

>> I am now angry with myself though because I realized that dynamic job
>> destinations are a better way to implement this in the meantime (that
>> environment stuff was very fresh when I responded so I think I just
>> jumped there). You can build a flexible infrastructure locally that is
>> largely decoupled from the tools and that may (?) work around the task
>> splitting problem Peter brought up.
>>
>> Outline of the idea:
>> <snip>
>
> Hi John,
>
> So the idea is to define a dynamic job mapper which checks the
> query input size, and if too big raises an error, and otherwise
> passes the job to the configured job handler (e.g. SGE cluster).
>
> See https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Jobs
>
> It sounds like this ought to be possible right now, but you are
> suggesting since this seems quite a general use case, the
> code to help build a dynamic mapper using things like file
> size (in bytes or number of sequences) could be added to
> Galaxy?

Yes it is possible right now and everything could just be stuck right
the rule file itself. I was just suggesting that sharing some of the
helpers with the community might ease the process for future
deployers.

> This approach would need the Galaxy Admin to setup a custom
> job mapper for BLAST (which knows to look at the query file),
> but it taps into an existing Galaxy framework. By providing a
> reference implementation this ought to be fairly easy to setup,
> and can be extended to be more clever about the limits.

Yes. As you mention this can be much more expressive than an XML-based
fixed set of limit types. In addition to static sorts of limits - you
could combine inputs like you mentioned, one could allow local users
of the public resource to run as much as they want, allow larger jobs
on the weekend when things are slow, etc.... I recently added a
high-level utility for looking at job metrics in these rules - so you
can say restrict and or expand the limit based on how many jobs the
user has run in the last month or how many core hours they have
consumed, etc....

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/commits/9a905e98e1550314cf821a99c2adc1b00a4eed83

> e.g. For BLAST, we should consider both the number (and
> length) of the queries, plus the size of the database.

Thanks for clarifying and providing some context to my (in retrospect)
seemingly random Python scripts :).