Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:55:57 -0400
From: Nate Coraor <n...@bx.psu.edu>
To: Galaxy Development <galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu>,
        galaxy-annou...@lists.bx.psu.edu
Subject: [galaxy-dev] Galaxy Security Vulnerability

A security vulnerability was recently discovered by Inge Alexander Raknes that
would allow a malicious person to execute arbitrary code on a Galaxy server.
The vulnerability was in a method that uses Python "pickle" functionality to
decode state information from tool forms. Because pickles can be used to
instantiate arbitrary Python objects, tool states could be constructed to
exploit this vulnerability.

 - pickle-2013.01.13.patch - This patch should apply cleanly (with offset/fuzz)
to releases from 2013.01.13 up to 2013.08.12, and possibly older versions of
Galaxy as well. Available at:
https://depot.galaxyproject.org/patch/pickle-2013.01.13.patch