Yes :(

There's been some past discussion of this from a tool developer
perspective, e.g. https://trello.com/c/JnhOEqow and
http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/Using-input-dataset-names-in-output-dataset-names-td4662481.html

The best individual tool authors can do is something like
"$input.name processed with XXX" or "XXX on $input.name"
which in a long pipeline results in extremely long names with
tools sometimes prefixed and sometimes postfixed. :(

Of course, things get really complicated when a tool has multiple
input files - in some cases the tool author could regard one set of
files as primary and preserve their name/tag only,

Naming things is hard.

Peter