Hi Nicholas,

Sorry for the somewhat misleading text in the documentation. The part about
"no extra modules or recompiling" refers to nginx itself - uWSGI protocol
support is built in to the core functionality of nginx. This does not mean
that uWSGI itself is installed. Installing uWSGI is addressed a bit further
up:

You will also need to have uWSGI installed. There are a variety of ways to
> do this. It can be installed system-wide by installing from your system's
> package manager (on Debian and Ubuntu systems, the uwsgi and
> uwsgi-plugin-python provide the necessary components), or with the
> easy_install or pip commands (which will install it to the system's
> Python site-packages directory). Alternatively, if you are already
> running Galaxy from a Python virtualenv, you can use pip install uwsgi with
> that virtualenv's copy of pip to install to that virtualenv as your
> unprivileged Galaxy user.

In the case of Ubuntu sudo apt-get install uwsgi uwsgi-plugin-python
should provide the necessary components.

--nate