Hi Matthias

Have you considered "Data Libraries"?

A cron job can query your LIMS and use the API to create "Data Libraries". Then the user can select which datasets she/he wants to import.

And back to your original question: Yes, it is possible to create interactive tools. Check out the 'dynamic_options' examples on

https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/ToolConfigSyntax

Regards, Hans-Rudolf