Am 23.02.2016 um 10:13 schrieb Marius van den Beek:
> Just my 2 cents about this:
> I feel your pain, our connection to the docker hub is horrible, it takes
> an hour to pull the GIE images ... .
> (While it only takes seconds from the cloud ...).

This is a Dockerhub related issue and we offer also images from:
https://quay.io/repository/bgruening/galaxy

This is much faster in downloading and building.

> The galaxy docker images are pretty fat, because we use them VM-style,
> in principle nothing wrong about that.
> So the base-image is about 1.2GB ....

mh, the base image is 400 Mb at least this is what quay is telling me:

https://quay.io/repository/bgruening/galaxy?tab=tags

> add a few tools and you're quickly
> reaching 5GB.

Not if you use Docker or conda as dependency resolving mechanism. Indeed
I'm working on switching many flavours to use conda and Docker as
dependency resolvers, which postpones (and lowers) the download from
pulltime to runtime of the tools.

> If in addition you use interactive environments ... add a few GB more.

Only if you use them, at first run.

> I think that instead of trying to reduce the size of the base-image, it
> might be a better effort to separate the components
> into a proxy-image, database image (perhaps 2, one for tools / one for
> user-data), galaxy-image,
> cluster-image ... and so on. This would allow you to just update the
> tools and galaxy image regularly,
> plus you could do all the neat docker stuff, like versioning,
> committing, rolling updates, streaming database replication, worker
> scaling ...
> It's certainly something I would be interested in.

Here is the related issue:
https://github.com/bgruening/docker-galaxy-stable/issues/43

But going this route means to not be in sync with the ansible-roles used
by creating the VM's, Clound-Images ... but we have plans to base the
Cloudman ontop of Docker. If you can base VM's ontop of Docker we can
possibly use Docker compose if we decide it's worth the effort and
switch our other deployments to it. I would very much keep all
deployments in sync as we do currently.

> The other thing is to make sure that the tool dependencies are as slim
> as possible. Having many different R packages
> and their source lying around makes for a lot of data. Hopefully conda
> can alleviate that situation.

Yeah, it does!

Ciao,
Bjoern