Hi Jen,
Thank you for your answer.
However, the output file "transcript differential expression testing" gives the
ratio (log2 of the fold change) of FPKM of a specific transcript between two
conditions, which means this fold change in FPKM does not take the overall gene
expression into consideration (the expression of one gene many be much higher
in condition A than condidtion B) and therefore can not be used as difference
of alternative splicing.
What I am doing is looking for the difference of splicing between two cell
types by examining the output file "splicing differential expression testing".
In this file, column 10 gives the value of "sqrt(JS)" (the explaination of it
is "The splice overloading of the primary transcript, as measured by the square
root of the Jensen-Shannon divergence computed on the relative abundances of
the splice variants", and the value is never larger than 1). My understanding
is that, this value has already taken the overall gene expression into
consideration. But I do not know how much "sqrt(JS)" equals to 2 fold of change
because I want to focus the alternative splicing with 2 fold difference between
two cell types. Do you know how to convert the value of "sqrt(JS)" into "fold"?
In addition, how to understand the sentence "The splice overloading of the
primary transcript"? If one gene have 3 transcript: A, B and C and the
expression of these transcripts is: A=60%, B=25%, and C=15%, do you mean the
primary transcript is A? Does the Cuffdiff take the overall expression
(A+B+C=100%) or just the primary transcript (A=60%) into consideration when
calculates the ratio of transcript B? Actually, it would be much easier for us
if Cuffdiff calculates the ratio of the expression of the alternatively spliced
exon to overall gene expression, and then compare between conditions.
Thanks in advance,
Jianguang